Finished Project: Acoustic Guitar
After finishing my “electric” guitar last week, I had the urge to make an acoustic guitar to match.
I based the dimensions off of the electric guitar so they’re relatively the same size. The acoustic guitar wound out to be about 2″ taller and 2″ deeper than the electric when everything was finished. The only thing that were the exact same were the tuners, the front of the neck, and back stitching on the frets.
I had the brilliant idea to embroider the front – and at first it was easy – I used yellow yarn to do the sun pattern around the sound hole and green yarn to make the vines. However when I got to embroidering the flowers I encountered a problem. The yarn was much too thick to make it look passable. I wish I had a picture, but I hated the attempt so much it immediately frogged it.
I found some old embroidery floss from some old cross stitch and thought that it would be perfect! That’s what it’s made for, right? Oh, how I was wrong. It looks absolutely beautiful but it took forever. I spent about 2 days just embroidering the flowers and monogrammed H. The rest of the project was on hold until that was done.
Once I finally finished the embroidery side quest, I finally got around to making the rest of the actual guitar. I made the guitar deeper by adding a sidewall which turned out to be much too long. But luckily I didn’t have to frog the whole thing since the seam would be hidden by the neck. That seam was amazing for securely tying yarn before stitching parts together – because it’s hidden under the neck, it’s easy to hide!
The tuners never ended up being even and it drives me crazy. I have to keep reminding myself that it’s a toy and that most likely, no one will notice except me.
There’s a part of me that really wants to do another one – this time with no embroidery to see how it looks plain. But I’ll have to save that project for another day.